Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Sapling

Slowly I withered under the merciless desert sun,
The dry, hot sand offered no nourishment.

Daily I cursed my own foolishness
That had left me trapped in these inhospitable environs.

I craved release, but was too firmly entrenched...
Yet I survived.
For the indomitable spirit that is Me
Was not yet crushed.

But I hated the knowledge that I couldn't hold out forever:
For every new day something was dying inside my heart.

Till you came along...
Bringing with you welcome shade,
The long forgotten caress of water in my roots.

You understood.
And gave without asking.
I began to live again:
Sprouting a new shoot -- hesitantly at first,
Then more, with increasing confidence.

But you were too good to last.
Good times are short, and all good things come to an end.

I am not selfish, and I know you have to go...
But I am scared again of the barren desert sand
And the merciless sun.

Yet you must go.

Let all that is good be with you...
And I wish you well.

But something is dying again inside my heart.

No comments: